POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bad height-field (first binary post. pliz tell if wrong) : Re: yes Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:33:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yes
From: Shay
Date: 25 Aug 2003 12:58:01
Message: <3f4a4019@news.povray.org>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message

There are still other problems with this. The first, and in most cases
worst, problem is that the mesh decimation procedure (as I understand
it) will be least likely to remove the worst-looking vertices, those
which are part of the "step" problem caused by the small height-field
map. The second major problem is that the near-vertical areas will still
not have a dense enough mesh to work with unless the height field is
rendered at hella resolution before the mesh decimation procedure is
applied, so the memory limit will be a limitation anyway.

I came up with a better way Saturday night after reading your post. I'll
put up a picture later, but the code is here at work on a floppy, and I
haven't gotten around to rendering anything with it yet.

 -Shay