POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bad height-field (first binary post. pliz tell if wrong) : Re: yes Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yes
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 23 Aug 2003 20:05:01
Message: <3f48012d$3@news.povray.org>
I get the message; no need to yell.  :o)

uses a paintprogram to build the map - by hand - it's not an option to use a
function. He/she might be doing some manual painting, for good reasons.

Triangle decimation is also well known among users of polygon modelling..
You know.. Build your model.. Use subdivision.. Optimise the mesh after that
because it becomes unnecessary dense with triangles.

The same method could be useful for heightfields. I've done this procedure a
couple of days back, and it worked pretty well.. I was not using a landscape
type of heightfield but something, that contained a lot of flat areas so I
don't
know, how many percent can be saved with the landscape, that is more
bumpy. I just thought, it's worth a try.

Regards,
Hugo