POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dome Array Lighting test : Re: Dome Array Lighting test Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dome Array Lighting test
From: Doug Eichenberg
Date: 23 Aug 2003 18:24:11
Message: <3f47e98b$1@news.povray.org>
The negative lights only look good if they are low intensity and the array
has a lot of lights in it... then they work kind of like a shadow projector,
breaking things up a bit.

The way he described in the book, the key light is usually separate from the
dome array, and the dome array is used to simulate radiosity (if you want to
simulate skylight, anyway).  The intensity of the light is strongest in the
area opposite to the sun's position, and decreases as you get closer to the
sun.  The light at the top of the dome should be closest to white light,
with just a hint of blue.  Lights in the middle levels of the dome will be
blue or gray light, dependent on cloud cover.  Also, the sunnier the sky,
the paler the blue. The bottom of the array is used for bounced light
(radiosity), so the lights there will all be different colors, but the
intensities will be similar to the other lights.

He didn't go into much detail on using dome arrays for indoor lighting, as I
did in my test though.  I'll post the code for my macro in pbsf if you wanna
mess around with it.

--
Doug Eichenberg
www.getinfo.net/douge