POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Request : Re: Request Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 23 Aug 2003 12:04:43
Message: <3f47909b$1@news.povray.org>
> Please yell at me if I'm totally out of line here.

You're not out of line. I fully agree with you, and nobody needs to be upset
about this. Even those with fast connections (mine is 256 kbit) will benefit
from smaller files. The POV-Ray server too.

Even images in high resolution can usually be compressed to below 100 kb
without killing them. I don't mean to encourage people to put only
thumbnails here and the real images on their own server or webpage, because
here the images will last! It's also annoying to visit webforums where
images have already been taken offline by the people who posted a temporary
link to them.

So keep posting here, using good old jpeg compression, please.. Nothing
more. I know there is a format popping up now and then, where binary files
can be transferred without any overhead, but anyway, stay away from it also
because it forces everyone to install other newsreaders and eventually buy
software.

Regards,
Hugo