POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bad height-field (first binary post. pliz tell if wrong) : Re: A bad height-field (first binary post. pliz tell if wrong) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bad height-field (first binary post. pliz tell if wrong)
From: Slime
Date: 22 Aug 2003 15:26:45
Message: <3f466e75$1@news.povray.org>
These artifacts are caused by a bug in the height field smoothing algorithm.
Simply put, it causes flat areas to become "too flat" (vertical normals are
weighted more heavily than other normals). I discovered and fixed the bug in
Slime-POV ( http://www.slimeland.com/slimepov/ ), and I believe the fix made
it into MegaPov 1.0. In addition, I think the bugfix will be in POV-Ray
3.5.1, but there's no ETA on that right now.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]