POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Point cloud to mesh : Re: Point cloud to mesh Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Point cloud to mesh
From: Warp
Date: 22 Aug 2003 07:40:44
Message: <3f46013c@news.povray.org>
RetroJ <jjf### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>     I wonder if anyone can point me toward an algorithm for creating a
> triangle mesh from a group of points.

  In general this is a difficult problem and not too many utilities have
been made which do this (at least not free ones). The only free utility
which I could find with google was this one:

http://paraform.com/ppdl/index.html

but it seems to be an NT-only program (but could perhaps work in
Windows 2000/XP?) and it's not directly downloadable (why so much
protection, I wonder).

  You could try also this site to see if you find anything useful:

http://aranz.com/research/modelling/surface/applications/pointcloud.html

>  The project is to render a landscape,
> so I assume up front that there will be no overlap in the elevation axis.

  This might make the job easier, but if you can't make any other
assumption than that no points will have the same x-z coordinates,
it might not be trivial either.