POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Photograph or POV? : Re: A Photograph or POV? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Photograph or POV?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 22 Aug 2003 04:58:57
Message: <3f45db51@news.povray.org>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> > I was playing around with lighting this evening, trying to think
> > of how to make light "work" and blend into a scene appropriately.
> > Any comments, suggestions?
>
> I see mostly darkness.  :o)   Are you sure, you weren't inspired by the
> recent power outrage?

Yes, I agree that it is rather dark for me here too, but I didn't notice
that until I tilted the top of my notebook's LCD display away a little.
Looked perfect before due to the overbrightening effect the wrong viewing
angle can cause, and yet this still has a photorealism quality. If I
continue to tilt this LCD back that bluish globe turns black and blends
entirely into the background.

You're right, Aaron, it does need something to replace those artificial
specular highlights. Reflection won't do it though, I don't believe, unless
maybe you use high color numbers on a light's look_like object. Not sure
without rendering a similar thing myself.

I like this image despite any shortcomings. Simple, yet eye-catching.

Bob H.