POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light on a few spheres : Re: Light on a few spheres Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light on a few spheres
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 17 Aug 2003 07:32:28
Message: <3f3f67cc@news.povray.org>
> You can add focal-blur

It has focal blur. The horizon is blurred, the object is in focus.

> and maybe increase quality (radiostity) settings

There are no radiosity used. This was on purpose, because of the simple
motif that doesn't spread the light around much. Whenever possible I stay
away from radiosity because  1)  It flickers in animation unless the quality
is really high   2)  It increases rendertime in most cases   3)  It doesn't
support network rendering on a single image.

> something is little wrong inside "box" (in dark area)

You're right. It's noisy inside the hole of the box. This is because of the
blurred reflections on all the spheres. I use micro-normals, and I blur them
in one layer to speed up rendering. With focal blur samples set to 38, and
max_trace_level set to 3, there can only be 38*3 reflection-samples taken
for each pixel. Inside the box, this isn't enough for smooth results because
the rays go ping-pong between the spheres.

Thanks for your comments.  :o)

Regards,
Hugo