POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light on a few spheres : Re: Light on a few spheres Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light on a few spheres
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 13 Aug 2003 17:04:33
Message: <3f3aa7e1@news.povray.org>
Thank you very much for all the replies!  :o)  That's encouraging.

Now, here's a surprise: There are no radiosity used in the image. I decided
that it would be useful to practice good lighting without it. This way the
scene won't flicker in animations (as radiosity in POV easily does) and it
supports network rendering on a single image, which is also nice. But it
also helped to speed up rendering and this image renders in just 35 minutes
on my AMD 1.4 GHz. (well, time depends on the quality of focal-blur)

I'm using the general three-point-lighting technique, commonly used by
photographers. In addition, I've worked on a little macro to .. how to say..
enrich the built-in area_lights with some extra lights and a visible,
glowing area. This area then reflects on the spheres so no specular/phong
keyword is used. The spheres also have blurred reflections to further soften
the look.

As Tek noted, the material of the spheres are not easily recognisable. I'll
work on that.

JC wrote:
> Did you have a look at  Jaime's syslight include file?

Yes, I know Jaime's macros. I haven't used them here, except all the light
has a realistic fade-out, as was described by him.

Regards,
Hugo