POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet Earth rendered : Re: Planet Earth rendered Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet Earth rendered
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 28 Jul 2003 17:51:08
Message: <3f259acb@news.povray.org>

> Wolfgang Wieser schrieb:
>   The large canyon system is called Vallis Marineris: it extends
>   over 4000km and is up to 7km deep.
>
> No, the latter is not true - there are some areas in the large southern
> impact basin Hellas Planitia which are even about 8,000
> metres below average elevation!

If I understand you correctly, then you just explained that there
is a region on Mars called "Hellas Planitia" which is 8 km "deep" (?)

That's interesting... maybe you know the longnitude and latitude?

BTW, I don't see why my above statement is "not true".

A close-up rendering of Vallis Marineris is available here:
http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/img/mars/

Wolfgang