POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Robot animation (WIP) : Re: Robot animation (WIP) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 05:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Robot animation (WIP)
From: Chris Johnson
Date: 21 Jul 2003 19:41:24
Message: <3f1c7a24@news.povray.org>
Perhaps this isn't the place to be asking this - though it is related to the
post.

I've got my (at the moment fairly basic) particle system up and running and
I'd like to generate particles at the end of the arm. However, the arm
movement at the moment is forward kinematics - i.e. the general structure is

#macro ArmPart2(angle 2, angle3...)
// Modelling here
object (ArmPart3(angle3...) rotate y*angle2 translate <5,4,-20>)
#end

#macro Robot(angle1, angle 2, angle3...)
// Modelling here
object (ArmPart1(angle2, angle3...) rotate x*angle1 translate <0,35,2>)
#end

with similar definitions for ArmPart2, ArmPart3 etc, and the robot being
placed by a single call to Robot(...). The position in global coordinates of
the end of the arm doesn't seem to be very easy to get at. At the moment,
I'm finding the position with a long formula with lots of embedded
vrotate(...) functions, but this hardly seems the most elegant solution.

The way I would usually place things at the exact end of the arm is to place
them in the macro that defines the very end part of the arm. However, this
isn't possible in this case, as the particles have to move realistically
relative to the global coordinate system, not relative to the end part of
the arm.

Anyone got any suggestions as to a better way than a very long equation?

Regards,

-Chris