POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : PartixGen is BACK! (256kb, MPG1) : Re: PartixGen is BACK! (256kb, MPG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 11:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PartixGen is BACK! (256kb, MPG1)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 21 Jul 2003 14:13:49
Message: <3f1c2d5d$1@news.povray.org>
> Actually I figured that your system would be used at some point as well.
> Just like people will use jpatch and Wings3D for modelling. It is nice to
> have a choice of particle systems.  I just wanted to know if Tim's system
> would be available with an "openish" license so that we can use it.

Well, my system and Rune's aren't really comparable, they're
completely different in abilities, handling and "up-to-date" coding.

I've begun working on my system about 3 years ago, that was
in Povray3.1g times, and have loaded more and more scripts
onto the same underlying principles. It has a wide range of possible
additions, since I've spread usage of User-Defined macros all
over the place, but it is basically limited to a simple task:
Randomly position "something" in a given area and move it about,
regardless of other "somethings" or other objects.

Still, lots of macros may vary the above in so many different ways
that it might have some benefits. But I haven't looked into the latest
version of Rune's particle system and I'm pretty unsure what is
possible "ad hoc", e.g. without modifications of his core-code.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0