POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : PartixGen is BACK! (256kb, MPG1) : Re: PartixGen is BACK! (256kb, MPG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 05:38:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PartixGen is BACK! (256kb, MPG1)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 21 Jul 2003 07:24:09
Message: <3f1bcd59$1@news.povray.org>
You're right about that.

There's also the precision thingy we've talked about
months ago, remember? That my non I/O calculates
an impact with the boundary box, while your I/O
one approximates it with trace() calls. I doubt that
the precision of your system is so much a drawback
though.

But one thing I've noticed and that is probably fitting to
mention here:
I've noticed that the interpolation in between frames
doesn't yield smooth flying curves, but rather straight
connections. Is that still an issue? I'm not sure how that
could be solved anyways, I haven't given much thought
to it. Maybe I'm even wrong, since that was a looong
time ago.
One solution is of course to calculate more frames, but
is there an alternative to that?

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> > Come to think about it, I see why this particle-
> > system might be better suited than a I/O one:
> > there's no dependancy on earlier frames.
>
> Um, I just want to put in a small note here that my system is not
> dependent on earlier frames either. Of course it still has to
> "calculate* the simulation from the beginning, in the first frame of the
> series of rendered frames, but that's also the case in Non-I/O particle
> systems, where the simulation is calculated from the beginning in
> *every* frame, and not just the first one.
>
> So in short: You can render any sub-series of frames in an animation,
> and the system will automatically make sure that the final animation
> when the sub-series are combined, will be smooth and seamless. It is the
> same trickery that makes my system support cyclic animation, which is
> also not normally supported in I/O particle systems.
>
> Now, Tim's system might still be better suited for the project. (There
> are probably numerous arguments both for and against.) All I wanted with
> this post was to clear a possible misunderstandings about my I/O
> particle system.
>
> Rune
> --
> 3D images and anims, include files, tutorials and more:
> rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)
> POV-Ray Ring: http://webring.povray.co.uk

---