POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : UV Mapping : Re: UV Mapping Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:29:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV Mapping
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Jul 2003 13:44:45
Message: <3f16e08d$1@news.povray.org>

3F1### [at] mailcom...
> Hmm, it's a good candidate for next freeware Java program :)

That could be interesting. The relative absence of free or even low cost 3D
painting programs is a mystery to me (there's uvmapper and a couple of other
shareware and then we're in the 1000$ land). One possibility is that it's
much more difficult to program than it seems due to some hard topological
math involved. I wish I could paint models and apply 2d textures in real
time on the 3d model like I'd do with a real-life object and then have the
uv map created magically but I've not even sure that it makes sense. The
free/shareware uv mappers I've seen all rely on wrapping and unwrapping
vertices, not on 3D painting per se.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com