POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Indoor Radiosity Experiments (24kb + 25kb + 25kb) : Re: Indoor Radiosity Experiments (24kb + 25kb + 25kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor Radiosity Experiments (24kb + 25kb + 25kb)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 17 Jul 2003 12:07:46
Message: <3f16c9d2@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

> Seriously though: I was just analyzing indoor scenes
> with pure radiosity, especially scenes where the lightsource
> is more or less a lightbulb or something similiar. Shadows
> produced by those are very soft, as said before.
> But sure, with the right settings, one could get crisper
> shadows. Still, I'd go so far and say that for the majority
> of scenes where radiosity is used indoors, shadows
> produced thereby are very soft.

As they probably should be.

Next time you're in a room with a radiosity-ish light source (say, a
lamp with a large shade that blocks out most of the direct light) take a
look at the shadows. My own room is like that, and looking around, even
objects a dozen feet from the lamp and a few inches from the wall have
rather soft shadows.

I doubt you have any viable pure radiosity scenes that accurately
simulate a naked lightbulb in a room; the lightbulb would be so small
that even with count 1600, the vast majority of those tests would miss
it entirely, resulting in massive artifacting; increasing recursion to 2
or 3 (as appropriate for such an environment) would only increase this,
as would setting error_bound low enough to make the radiosity capable of
producing sharp shadows (say, .1 or less).

If a method is found and implemented to allow significantly higher count
values, the naked light scene would make an interesting experiment.
However, AFAIK, no one is working on it (and I have no ideas).

-Xplo