POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grassy Julia v6 - Final? : Re: Grassy Julia v6 - Final? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grassy Julia v6 - Final?
From: Tek
Date: 2 Jul 2003 19:56:41
Message: <3f037139@news.povray.org>
Right, I'm happy with the scene now. I've made a couple more tweaks following
suggestions here:
-Smaller fish and more of them, with some nice "flocking" (shoaling?) behaviour.
-The mainland in the distance goes of the side of the picture, to suggest it is
mainland and not a distant island.
-The flowers now have a subtle curve to them.

So I've set my old PC going on a zazzle sized (colossal) 7800 x 5200 image.
Unfortunately my old PC is just a PIII 550, whereas my main machine is an Athlon
XP 2400. And it was taking the faster machine 8 hours to render the version of
the image shown here. Which, according to my rough mental arithmetic, means the
picture will take approximately 26 DAYS to render!!! I'll post the final version
(at reduced size of course!) when it's ready.

So I guess I'll just leave that whirring away in the corner while I work on an
IRTC entry. :)

Thanks again to everyone for the criticism and ideas you've contributed to this
image!
--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com

"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message news:3f00a1b2@news.povray.org...
> I think I've done just about as much as I can on this image. Plus the new
stills
> topic should be announced tomorrow, so I want to finish this and move on.
>

> I thought I'd do a quick review of some of the good ideas that weren't used:
>
> - People/robots, deckchair, boats and any other man-made presence - the idea
> with these things was that this is a nice place to chill out and relax, so to
> show this someone should be in the scene doing just that, or implied by the
> presence of objects associated with that (an empty deck chair, boat, etc.).
Now
> the image is at this stage I feel the objects and scene serve a more immediate
> purpose, it is not a nice place to -be-, it's a nice place to -see-! I don't
> want any human occupation in the scene because you are the human who comes
here
> to enjoy it. If I put someone in the picture it will only make the viewer
> jealous! Well, that's pretentious but I think it works better like this.
>
> - 3D media clouds - I've stayed with the 2D clouds because I like their
ethereal
> apearance and media clouds rarely look as soft as this, plus the render time
> would become much worse with media.
>
> - The empty right side of the image, too much sky etc. - Obviously these
things
> are a matter of opinion and I know some people like the way this shot is laid
> out and others prefer the earlier versions. I could go into lengthy details
bout
> why I think it works like this, but I don't see much point, you will either
like
> it or not and frankly I'd be very worried if everyone agreed about this! So
I'll