POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Sunpeek : Re: Sunpeek Server Time
19 Jul 2024 05:39:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunpeek
Date: 30 Jun 2003 13:54:45
Message: <3f007965$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Tim,

that's looking good!

   ... but ...

> I'm hoping on some constructive criticism
> and suggestions... :-)

so here they are as requested:

When the sun appears, its rays have to travel a long distance through the
atmosphere. This has two implications:

- the attenuation will impose a gradient white -- yellow -- orange -- red
  onto the sun and of course *no* blinding flash (at least in reality;
  the artistic view may be completely different :)

- due to refraction, the sun will appear flattened on the underside

- if the planet is the earth, the border between its lit and unlit parts
  moves with less than 0.5 km/s -- from such a great distance this
  motion is almost invisible. But it looks good, so I suggest to leave
  this motion as is (just wanted to nitpick ;-D )

The camera has a slow rotation around the vertial axis. I really hope
this rotation will be fast enough to reach 180 degrees at exactly the
moment of sunset! Then again 180 degrees to return to the starting point:
*LOOP*! (During the night-180-degrees, could you please let the moon(s)
appear?)

Now I'm waiting for a long, slow, large, realistic and artistic looping
animation with sunrise and sunset, sun flares, earth, moons, asteroids,
comets, saturn, borg cube, enterprise, black 2001-space-odyssey-"brick",
2001-bone, 2001-spaceships, galaxies; perhaps the camera is held by a
green man from mars and we can see a short glimpse of his naked martian
toes? His spaceship with advertisement "visit the planetary system in 1
week with MASA travel" (MArtian Space Agency)? His reflection in this
space ship? Other strange passengers making photos? The space travel
highway from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (with traffic lights),
approaching the earth? A black hole slurping the milky way? Jules Verne's
space ship? MIR, splashing into the ocean? Satellites? Even a Sputnik?!?
And music that's cancelling gravity!

(Making suggestions is as funny as viewing the animation!)

   Sputnik