POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lambo Diablo part 2 : Re: Lambo Diablo part 2 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lambo Diablo part 2
From: Tek
Date: 27 Jun 2003 13:53:07
Message: <3efc8483$1@news.povray.org>
"realistic" and "real" are not the same thing. Realism is about creating in the
viewer's mind the impression of reality. Photographer's studios are constructed
to give the impression of perfection to the subject of the image, in a way that
is unattainable in the so called "real world" of day-to-day life.

Therefore, whilst a photographer's studio is realistic, a -more- realistic scene
would be outside on a street like you see every day. Giving us the chance to
more accurately assess the quality of this model in comparison to real-world
cars.

I guess it depends on the aim of this project: If Andreas was trying to make a
car that looks like a poster then he has most certainly acheived that, but I
always thought he was trying to make a -car-, so I'd like to also see it in
situations I've seen real cars in so I can really assess how close he's got to
reality.

I think I said "real" too much there... :)

BTW, I should point out the reason I'm so fussy about this is my day job is as a
graphics programmer on a racing game (Race Driver), so I spend a lot of time
comparing the real world to our in-game renders. Inevitably I'm very critical of
anyone's attempts to do this, but Andreas's car looks perfect from what I've
seen so far.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com