POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Small trees : Re: Small trees Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Small trees
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 26 Jun 2003 14:59:19
Message: <3efb4287@news.povray.org>
I have tried every (hopefully) tree macro which results can be rendered in
povray so far.
The best pov macros are Tomtree, which you already know, Maketree, which is
by far the most used one and Splinetree.
Good looking Trees need much memory and for me 17 megs are negliable. On the
downside you need much more for a whole forest.
I think you know Gena's variant of Tomtree, it decreases memory need by
making a mesh.

Even better trees (sorry Gilles) you can get with Xfrog
(http://www.xfrogdownloads.com/greenwebNew/products/productStart.htm)
or Arboretum in connection with Forester
(http://www.dartnall.f9.co.uk/forester/arboretum.htm).

I used them for my own work (e.g.
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2001-06-30/warm_up.jpg,
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-04-30/frosted.jpg or
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-06-30/allegory.jpg.

It is possible to get good trees with less than 17 megs, but not in general.
For Xfrog there is a tool named XfrogTune which reduces polygon count of the
trees.
On the downside these tools are not free and Xfrog has no direct pov file
export.

If you want good and small trees, you should modify the Maketree macro of
Gilles Tran.
Christoph Hormann used a clever way and descibes the How and Why on
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/asia/making.html.

Norbert Kern

news:pan### [at] yahoocouk...