POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sunrise : Re: Sunrise Take 2 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunrise Take 2
From: Timon Christl
Date: 26 Jun 2003 10:43:46
Message: <3efb06a2$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> Second attempt at the image. Less atmosphere, but
> a little more glowing for the earth, less brightness
> for the sun.
> Better? Suggestions are appreciated! (perhaps with
> post-processed versions?)

I'm sorry, but I find this version is much worse than the previous, for
two reasons:

1. The lights on the dark side of the earth are too bright, it makes the
image less credible.
2. The sun does not look like a sun. Your sun looks cold, like it was
made of wax, or plastic, while it should look really hot and be made of
star plasma (or whatever). And suns never, ever have a shaded surface,
they appear flat because of self-illumination.

I did some experimenting with space scenes some months ago, and found
out that you don't really need a sphere for the sun. A spherical pattern
with an appropriate color_map on a sky_sphere works quite well, if you
use very bright colors. Just translate and rotate it with some care on
the sky_sphere. Layering pigments also helps.

I have attached a small pic of the sun I came up with. It's not perfect
but at least it feels hot, has a color that looks realistic in an
artistic sense, and it does not exhibit shading. My scene is rendered
with radiosity, but uses an additional light_source far away in the same
direction as the sky_sphere sun, to help the lighting of the scene (and
because radiosity does not give you nice scattering media interaction).

Hehe, and it seems the atmosphere-is-too-thick-effect strikes everyone
how tries to make space scenes the first time :-)

--
(defun f(p x)(If(Eq x nil)nil(If(p(Car x))(Cons(Car x)(f p(Cdr x)))(f p
(Cdr x)))))(defun q(x)(Q nil x))(defun Q(a x)(If(Eq x nil)a(Q(Cons(Car

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'space4.jpg' (9 KB)

Preview of image 'space4.jpg'