POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grassy Julia Fractal : Re: Grassy Julia Fractal Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:42:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grassy Julia Fractal
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 15 Jun 2003 16:02:28
Message: <3eecd0d4@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> I decided to apply the grass from my "bliss" image to a more interesting object,
> so I made this rather surreal scene.
>
> The grass looks far better than I thought it would do. Each blade of grass is
> straight, but there's realy nice curves in the overall effect because they lean
> with the shape of the fractal, and also there's a turbulence pattern displacing
> the tops of the blades so you get the feeling the wind is blowing across them.
> Also there's a halo effect round the edge, which has happened completely by
> accident! :)
>
> I like it, it has a nice unreal feeling. What do you think?

Nice start.. I have some suggestions.

First, tweak your grass-placing code so you don't have grass growing
straight out sideways. ^^;;

Someone posted a picture a while back that used multilayered grass: a
smaller, browner layer and a larger green layer. It worked really well.
It's possible that this image would be better off with just the bright
green - it adds to the surrealistic look - but you might want to play
with that and see what happens.

A few flowers or something would look good.. doesn't have to be a lot,
just enough to add a little variety.

I really like the idea of the chair and umbrella that someone mentioned,
but I'd leave out the sign and the rowboat; let the furniture speak for
itself, I think, and if a boat's there then there should also be a
person there, since the boat didn't row itself, and now your scene's
just getting messy.. see?

I look forward to more development. This would make great wallpaper. :D

-Xplo