POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Script Pixel-Post-Processing (WIP, Take 2) : POV-Script Pixel-Post-Processing (WIP, Take 2) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Script Pixel-Post-Processing (WIP, Take 2)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 14 Jun 2003 11:37:54
Message: <3eeb4152@news.povray.org>
Finally, the script is running on a stable basis and takes
depth and culling into account (only foremost objects cause
highlights).

As an interesting next step, I want to create second-level
specular trace, so that objects using specular highlights
will also reflect specular highlights of the other objects
used by the system.
For now, the highlights aren't much better than the one
POV-Ray produces itself, but I plan on blurring and
enlargening the area of effect, so that a specular highlight
appears to "blind" the camera.

For me, this will solve an issue I had been thinking about for
a long time: ever looked at the sun reflected by the mirror?
The bright area isn't limited to the mirror. That's what I wanted
to achieve for a long time, and I've finally found a way to do
that without using a Paint Program.
I've already noticed that some might find this redundant or
even pointless, for MegaPOV has the "Glow" filter, and any
paint program could be used as well. Still, I want the proper
specular highlights to have the effect, and only them!

Anyways, here's a little pic to show off. The post-processing
script uses a much smaller resolution than the image itself,
which is why you can see those nice little rectangles. They're
only placed where necessary and are made up of two triangles.
Boxes wouldn't work too well as their sides added up near
the image's borders.

As a sidenote: the system won't work with focal-blur and doesn't
support antialiasing, though the latter could be overcome by using
a larger resolution than rendering...

Regards,
Tim

--