POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : turfvase (1st image post) : Re: turfvase (1st image post) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: turfvase (1st image post)
From: Sun Tzu
Date: 6 Jun 2003 11:50:00
Message: <3ee0b828@news.povray.org>
Very nice.

I guess I'm rather new at POV, because I can't figure out how the trace()
macro can be used to 'arrange them on the surface'.  From the POV
documentation:

"This is the macro we call for each pixel we want to calculate. That is, the
starting point of the ray is our camera location and the direction is the
direction of the ray starting from there and going through the "pixel" we
are calculating. The macro returns the color of that pixel."

From this I gather that the trace() macro returns a color.  How can a color
be used to arrange blades of grass on a surface?  I would assume that you'd
need a coordinate and direction or something along those lines, not a
color...  but as I said, I'm rather new at this.  There's probably some
documentation that I've overlooked that explains it but I can't seem to find
it.  Would you please be so kind as to explain it to me, or refer me to the
appropriate section of the documentation?  Thank you.

Sun.

----

----