POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k) : Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:26:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k)
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 26 May 2003 09:42:26
Message: <3ed219c2@news.povray.org>
> That was using ML pov, but the same test scene replaced with
> a very brightly coloured sky (rgb 20) in standard POV 3.5 also
> showed no capping of reflections.

Thank you. I did a quick experiment on my own, and you're right. The docs
have confused me. It says the reflection_exponent keyword compensates for "a
limited light model that cannot distinguish between objects which are simply
brightly colored and objects which are extremely bright."

Reading the following sentence closely, it says "A white piece of paper, a
light bulb, the sun, and a supernova, all would be modeled as rgb<1,1,1> and
slightly off-white objects would be only slightly darker."  But who on earth
would model a supernova as <1,1,1> ??  So in fact, it's not POV-Ray that
uses a limited light model, it's a USER who doesn't distinguish between
objects which are simply brightly colored, and objects which are extremely
bright.

Regards,
Hugo