POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k) : Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k)
From: Tek
Date: 25 May 2003 18:40:37
Message: <3ed14665@news.povray.org>
Hmm, I've not heard of that restriction, but it's pretty easy to test...

...I did a test with 3 spheres with different reflection values, and the camera
inside a black sphere with transmit 0.1. The reflections showed all of the
details on the HDR image, with no flattening of colours until they hit full
white. So I can't find any limitation on the brightness of reflections:

That was using ML pov, but the same test scene replaced with a very brightly
coloured sky (rgb 20) in standard POV 3.5 also showed no capping of reflections.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com

"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> > contrast range should be handled pretty
> > realistically by the HDR
>
> It's still a question of mine. According to the docs, POV uses a limited
> reflection formula that clips values above 1.. I don't know if this was
> changed in MLPOV but I suppose not. If the problem was trivial, it would
> probably already have been solved in the offical POV.
>
> Radiosity supports the HDR range, yes, but reflection?
> Maybe you can test it...
>
> Regards,
> Hugo

Post a reply to this message