POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggesting trivial patch. : Re: Suggesting trivial patch. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggesting trivial patch.
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 23 May 2003 15:00:49
Message: <3ece6fe0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Hmm, now I see your idea behind this.  Unfortunately this won't really
> work because in effectively anything below 0.0000 is pretty much below the
> precision threshold you can reach with double precision floating-point
> numbers for the number of calculations performed by isosurfaces.

My experience show that you actually CAN render isosurfaces with a gradient
of less than 0.000 .
The actual output is limited to 3 digits after the decimal point, not 4.
Using something like %g would be appreciated.

> I will see if I can come up with something intelligent to at least make
> the message not show up in such case.

No, NOT writing the message is probably a bad idea. Because in my case
a gradient of 0.01 already takes ages to render and I a using values
of 0.0002 and the like.

Wolfgang