POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k) : Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 07:36:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more metallic paint (mpeg1 796k)
From: Tek
Date: 23 May 2003 04:03:38
Message: <3ecdd5da@news.povray.org>
"JWV" <jwv|at|planet.nl> wrote in message news:3ecdcc30@news.povray.org...
> These are the only things which can be improved according to me:
>
> 1: I think you should use less focal blur, it seems to be to much for me.

It depends whether you think it's a full size car or a small model. The blur
makes it look small, so I think I agree with you and I'll reduce it.

> 2: Try to find a real TVR model.

Couldn't find any nice ones so I decided to build a vaguely TVR shaped car
in Wings3D. It's not ready yet.

> 3: use radiosity (if possible) this might make it look more realistic.

Yes, I've been thinking about this. The trouble is the effect relies heavily
on specular highlights, which aren't compatible with radiosity. But if I use
a really high specular and really dim light sources I can get the highlights
working without interfering with radiosity's diffuse illumination. So I'll
give it a try :)

> 3: Change the color (black perhaps :-P)

:-P
I chose the colour 'cause it's popular on TVRs, not because it actually
looks nice :) I think I might do some more pearlescent shades.

> JWV
>
> BTW: how did you make the "table" which it stands on? is it just a simple
> image map? I like it.

I don't have the source to hand, but it's basically a granite pigment for
the veins in the marble, applied to a standard checker pattern. The
reflection settings are similar to the paint but a bit more reflective. I
can post the source if you want it.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com