POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metallic paint - HDR renders : Metallic paint - HDR renders Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Metallic paint - HDR renders
From: Tek
Date: 14 May 2003 19:39:15
Message: <3ec2d3a3@news.povray.org>
For anyone who hasn't been following the other thread: I can't illuminate my
metallic paint using only radiosity, as it relies on specular highlights, which
meant I couldn't light it using HDR...

...but now I've found a way round it: Here the object is lit by a set of light
sources distributed round a sphere, with their colours sampled from the HDR
image. It's very effective and it means I can just change the HDR and it looks
right. I've not used radiosity, but I guess to combine this with radiosity you'd
need to turn off the HDR sky sphere and save the radiosity, then turn it back on
for the final render, otherwise the light sources will combine with radiosity
from the sky sphere and cause twice the illumination in the scene.

Anyway, the pictures show the paint in a variety of HDR environments, and the
beach and campus pictures are using a much more metallic type of paint (90%
metallic, compared to 60% in the other pictures).

The metallic paint is the same code used for the other picture, which is on
p.b.s-f. I can provide the source code for the light dome trick if anyone wants
it, but it's pretty straighforwards and my version is a little messy.

You like? :)

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'metal hdr uffizi.jpg' (48 KB) Download 'metal hdr beach.jpg' (38 KB) Download 'metal hdr campus.jpg' (36 KB) Download 'metal hdr forest.jpg' (53 KB)

Preview of image 'metal hdr uffizi.jpg'
metal hdr uffizi.jpg

Preview of image 'metal hdr beach.jpg'
metal hdr beach.jpg