POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Extending #read, another option... : Re: Extending #read, another option... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:53:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extending #read, another option...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 May 2003 12:28:15
Message: <3ec11d1f$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3ec109ee2a3b3a27f73ed81b0@news.povray.org> , "Kitsune_e"
<kit### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I knew this idea would most likely be met by opposition, I just wish more of
> the comments I had recieved had been useful feedback instead of flame.
> I found here an elitist attitude I had not expected to find in the Povray
> community.

You have to realize that developing a program and its logic is a very
difficult task that requires a good understanding of computer science.  Also
you can learn "programming" in school these days, this has very little to do
with computer science.

This is no different from, say, being a car mechanic.  Sure you (not "you"
personally, this is in the general sense of "you") know something about
cars; and you can even detect if something like the exhaust is broken.  But
would you go to your car mechanic and tell him what to fix and how to fix
it, maybe bring a new exhaust with you already even you don't know anything
about the old one?  Unlikely, and if you did, what do you think he would
say?  Or if you wanted to add a spoiler, would you discuss with the car
mechanic how to add it, or tell him you saw the same spoiler on another car
model, and ask him _why_ that one doesn't fit your car?  I suppose no
because you know by doing so you would most likely make a fool out of
yourself.

And this is essentially what you did with your question.  You said: Here is
a spoiler, why can't one mount it on this car if it fits so well on another?
Just like owning a car doesn't make you a car mechanic, owning a computer
doesn't make you a computer scientist.  That is not elitist.  It is reality.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde