POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chess set from a lurker : Re: Chess set from a lurker Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chess set from a lurker
From: Bri Wood
Date: 7 May 2003 16:10:16
Message: <3eb96828$1@news.povray.org>
Andrew Coppin wrote:
> It's not entirely clear exactly what's happening (are those reflections, or
> add-on bases or what?), but I really quite like the design.
>
> And yes, playing with them could be... interesting...
>
> Andrew.
>
> (PS. I don't know how to play chess! And when I did, the computer beat me
> every single time, so I gave up.)

The idea for the set came from seeing an image on here of letters in
sand, so I used that technique. That involved taking a free chess font
called Alpha, giving it a gaussian blur in Paint Shop Pro, and using it
as a hightfield to carve out the three sides of a cube thats on its point.
So looking through the glass, you're seeing the indentation on the other
   side.
Hope this explains it, if not, keep asking me more questions :)

Don't worry about the chess, an off the shelf computer program (Deep
Junior) almost beat Garry Kasparov.

Bri Wood