POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Entries which should be removed from competition : Re: Entries which should be removed from competition Server Time
18 Jun 2024 08:42:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Entries which should be removed from competition
From: simian
Date: 6 May 2003 03:32:23
Message: <3eb76507@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 May 2003 10:37:43 -0400, Copper Pin wrote:

> I agree, it is ridiculous to sanitize history.  I thought things went
> overboard when I heard they airbrushed out the cigarette from Paul
> McCartney's hand in the "Abbey Road" album cover photo.  But the
> difference in this case is that this is *not* a period photo.  It's a
> modern work, and as such, it's bound to modern sensibilities,
> conventions, and laws.

	There are no laws which apply. As I noted, the laws only apply to those
offering cigarettes for sale. It is encouragement of purchase for use via
advertising which is covered.

	Are you suggesting no artist in Europe can portray anyone smoking?

	Whatever the opinion of art critics, or anyone else for that matter,
what is being produced for the competitions qualifies as artistic
expression, period. They are concepts upon a theme requiring not on
technical skill with the software but creativity and visual expression of
a concept. Entries may be considered the worst art in the world by they
are art.