POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flute (153 Kb) : Re: Flute (153 Kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:45:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flute (153 Kb)
From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 6 May 2003 02:56:53
Message: <3eb75cb5@news.povray.org>
Hi very nice
But here it is the musician speaking: if you look closely at a flute, you'll
see that holes are neither evenly diposed nor the same diameter
http://rhs.riverdale.k12.or.us/~audreyc/bqflute.jpg.
That is not an esthetic choice. It rather comes from more than one factor
including:
-The musical scale which is not even (1,1,1/2,1,1,1,1/2)
-The logarithmic link between tune and frequency: to get one octave higher,
you have to double frequency)
-Playability of the instrument: holes are displaced from the ideal location
to fit with fingers and their diameter is compensated.
So when I saw yours, the 1st thoughts that came to my mind were:
"Oh the pretty nice flute!"
then 1 sec later ( yes faster than writing or reading the points exposed
above :-)
"Err but I wouldn'd like to hear it played ughh!"

But I like you image anyway, and the "metal thingies" add a touch of mystery
(oh?)

Marc

3eb72446@news.povray.org...