POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : rules violations in 'architecture' round : Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round Server Time
29 Jun 2024 08:03:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rules violations in 'architecture' round
From: Slashdolt
Date: 2 May 2003 08:35:53
Message: <3eb26629@news.povray.org>
> So if indeed the intention of the IRTC admins is to allow resizing
> operations some clarification of the rules would be good.

I agree.  The rules should specifically allow for it, since it is apparely
ok.

For my last entry in Old Technology, resizing would have fixed a focal blur
problem that I had (not enough samples) that simply would have been
practically impossible otherwise, afaik.  To use the number of samples that
I needed to get rid of the artifacts, I would have had to render forever,
but to render the image at 4X would have only taken about 8 days.  Either
way, I didn't have enough time, so the graininess remained.  Nobody seemed
to notice, though.  Incidentally, the 1600x1200 version on the Hi-Res page
was simply resized from the 3200x2400 version, and it looks better than any
other size as a result.

Having said all of that, I perfectly understand your point.  I was able to
"fix" something via resizing that I would not have been able to fix in my
renderer.  That makes me somewhat nervous that people would use resizing in
that way in the IRTC.  I think my response in the mailing list said
something along the lines of it being a trade-off or perhaps gamble.  If you
leave the artifacts are you more likely to be judged lower than if you
resize the image to remove them?

--
Slash