POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Entries which should be removed from competition : Re: Entries which should be removed from competition Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:33:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Entries which should be removed from competition
From: Tek
Date: 1 May 2003 19:04:06
Message: <3eb1a7e6$1@news.povray.org>
I have to disagree with you about the cigarette advertising. It's appropriate in
this historical context, and I hardly feel an image displayed on the irtc is
going to start people smoking. I have a particular gripe about this because a
colleague of mine recently had to search through video footage of historical
motor races looking for one shot of a man smoking a pipe, because he'd been told
to remove it under cigarette advertising laws in some countries! Fair enough,
cigarettes are a terrible thing and should be removed from our culture as soon
as possible, but I think we should stop short of sanitising history.

The image is not attempting to glorify smoking, any more than it's trying to
make you want a piano, it's merely using a number of period details.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com