POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:07:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 1 May 2003 07:33:57
Message: <3eb10624@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> A sphere primitive for the planet. As you get closer, a mesh of the area
> visible from the ship...

The switch between these two may be ugly. Mountains pop up suddenly.
But using a 200k mesh may be fine.

> a few hundred thousand triangles, maybe a million.

Yes, one million is enough if you see the whole planet.
A few hundret thousand is okay for 320x240 only.

> Once you get close to the canyon, switch to a high level of
> detail mesh, the detail will probably require a million or so.

That was what I actually expected to read... However:

One million for the canyon is far too few. The problem is that
in mid-ragne and in far background, it is okay but the foreground
looks real ugly.
(Solution: mixed-grid mesh per frame, but we're here because we wanted
to avoid it, right? Other solutions? (beyond isosurface))

Here is the actual problem.

> You could set things up so
> you have one bigger mesh with variable amounts of detail, highest in the
> canyon...simpler

Well, would be feasible if 1e6 triangles were enough for the canyon.

> but less efficient, but nowhere near as bad as your
> idea of using a full-resolution mesh of an entire freaking planet.
> That is just wasteful on current systems, even if you have the RAM for
> it.

The only feasible alternative I've seen is Christoph's proposal using an
isosurface image map.

Wolfgang