POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:43:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 27 Apr 2003 18:06:11
Message: <3eac5452@news.povray.org>
> I recently showed some samples of high detail rendering of the earth with
> variable level of detail.  See:
>
> Subject: rendering the earth (71k+68k)
> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:57:55 +0200
> From: Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
> Newsgroups: povray.binaries.images

Looks pretty cool!

Did you "request" the data?
("Files denoted by double asterisks (**) are available upon request.
Please send an email to...")

> You can apply the same method (i.e. rendering a planetary body with an
> isosurface defined by image maps,

Thanks, the isosurface image map sounds promising. 2 bytes per sample
is just great. Hope it does not take ages...

> using higher resolution data for the foreground part

okay...

> and blending with the lower resolution basis using
> functions) to any other planet.

"blending using functions"... What do you mean by that?

Wolfgang