POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:56:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 26 Apr 2003 18:10:55
Message: <3eab03ee@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

>> Just tell my why I should use "intelligence" doing complicated
>> viewport and culling calculations (think of animations) which require
>> a separate mesh include file for each frame if the problem could be
>> delt with in an easier and (as I think) more elegant way?
>
> I never mentioned viewport calculations or culling. It doesn't require
> huge amounts of work...just don't use high resolution meshes where low
> res meshes are adequate.

The alternative is to use 100 million triangles.
95% will be useless but the foreground needs needs the fine grid.

Either smart "intelligent" mixed-resolution meshes with (at least
primitive) viewport culling or a very fine mesh is required.
OR, subdivision at render time.
Anything else?

>> > A binary mesh format would make loading
>> > high-res meshes faster.
>> ...and smaller on HD.
>
> Really, who cares about file size? It is only an issue when transferring
> files. I view it as simply a side effect of using a format more
> convenient for fast loading.

When rendering films, file size gets interesting, especially if you
need a separate mesh for each frame. And when rendering the film in
a distributed environment the issue is transferring the meshes.

But that's not the major issue we're talking about here.

>>   This means, if you use a very deep scene (fly along a valley),
>>   it would produce nice scenery from a low/med-resolution mesh
>>   with constant grid size.
>
> Which could be done just as well before rendering.

Which results in a 100 million triangle mesh.
Or requires some "intelligent" mixed-resolution mesh and triangle culling.
AND it requires knowledge of the camera position which means that a
separate mesh is needed for each frame.

Oh dear... we're back at the beginning.

I don't know if you never tried to put up a POV camera in a topography
mesh valley and looked at all the ugly triangles in the foreground.
Only solution (without patching POVRay) I see is doing some really
non-trivial calculations on the input topography data extracting a
mesh with fine grid in foreground and larger grid in the background.

Wolfgang