POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 03:03:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 26 Apr 2003 17:35:25
Message: <3eaafb9d@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> In article <3eaadd08@news.povray.org>, Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
>

> This seems to be the main advantage. Subdividing and displacing a big
> mesh could take a lot of CPU time, and limiting it to the needed areas
> would not be easy, so you would store more triangles than necessary. My
> main point is that memory use seems to be more of a side benefit, if it
> really can give a speed benefit. (time/CPU is much more costly than
> memory or storage)

There has to be a reason why the reyes algorithm is still used ;-)
The problem is that if you hit a memory limit there often is not much
you can do about it besides buying more memory, with time/CPU you can at
least wait. And it's not only the geometry that has big memory
requirements but also radiosity, photon mapping, etc..