POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:48:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 26 Apr 2003 08:47:52
Message: <3eaa7ff7@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3ea6d1e3@news.povray.org> , Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
>
>> Ever tried to render a several-million-triangle mesh with POVRay?
>> If you want to trace topography data you run out of memory much faster
>> than you think.
>
> Well, then you better get system with a 64 bit processor,

Oh, have one for me?

> or use a heightfield.

Correct.
But what I need is actually a height-SPHERE, so I'm back to plain mesh.

> If a desktop level system with a 32 bit processor can't
> handle the amounts of data, that is hardly a problem of POV-Ray...

Well, in some way it IS. Because one could imagine an algorithm which
uses less memory (at the expense of CPU time), but only for the
specialized problem of a height sphere.

But, I agree: The fact that a genuine mesh does not fit into RAM is
not a POVRay bug because I see little chance to significantly reduce
genuine mesh RAM consumption (after looking at the POV code).

Wolfgang