POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Organic motion: when as much as where : Re: Organic motion: when as much as where Server Time
19 Jul 2024 07:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Organic motion: when as much as where
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 24 Apr 2003 11:29:43
Message: <3ea802e7$1@news.povray.org>
"Kitsune_e" <kit### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> I don't know the specifics of your system, but I wonder if you
> couldn't just use a spline.

Povray 3.5 does not have any way to determine the number of elements or
points in a previously defined spline. This would be necessary for such a
solution. Apparently MegaPov 1.0 does have such a utility.  Thus, I'm forced
to use a four-dimension array.

> About the motion: it does give a nice organic feel, though it might
> work better with slightly rounded paths.

When you're jogging, the position of your hands are likely sine function
based. This application, however, is for the position of the hands.  In a
conversation, working in the kitchen, or just sitting at a desk, I'd guess
hands tend to move to places in more of a straight line.   But there's the
acceleration in and out that isn't realistically related by a spline,
whether natural or linear.   I suppose one could have both this ease in &
out and a natural spline for the position of the points, but that makes my
head spin right now.