POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Still Life (2 images, 88k total) : Re: WIP - Still Life (2 images, 88k total) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Still Life (2 images, 88k total)
From: Bill Hails
Date: 23 Apr 2003 19:40:06
Message: <3ea72456@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

> About those photons: Perhaps try a different
> autostop, like .25 or such. With autostop 0 it
> may happen that it will stop shooting photons
> as soon as it completes a full turn without
> hitting the object. This happens nicely with a
> torus blocking the light, but might also be
> happening with the cigarette. Don't use arealight
> for the photons, in my experience that made
> things worse.
>  About the smoke: try to model a blob and fill it
> with scattering media. Best would be to make
> two thick rims which spread out and turbulate,
> and some connection between these two. These
> two rims seem to be the main issue for realistic
> cigarette smoke, at least to me.
>
> Aside of that, nice job. The floor needs a realistic
> texture, then you'd get a nice image.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Thanks, I'll try that. My main issue was that when I turned
the area light on, the dispersed ash turned to powder and the
chunk of ash, which is an isosurface, looked like a cylinder
with a texture. I fixed the dispersed ash problem by randomizing
the shade of grey for each particle, the ash chunk also yielded
to brute force and ignorance, which just leaves the smoke. I'd
tried a crude blob model earlier on, but that was so bad I opted
for a fractal. I'll try again with blobs.

--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!