POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just a ring... [2 x 220 KB] : Re: Just a ring... [2 x 220 KB] Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a ring... [2 x 220 KB]
From: St
Date: 23 Apr 2003 14:29:29
Message: <3ea6db89@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in message

> Does a gem actually exist which approximates this colour? (I presume
so - I
> was under the impression that being natural substances, they vary in
colour
> quite a lot...) I'm not too obsessed about it being that precise
shape, I
> just want something that's fairly "square" (or rectangular).

     A square stone in the trade is usually called a 'Princess' cut
and a rectangular shape is a 'Baguette' cut - just in case you do want
to order either of these.

   As for green gemstones, here's quite a good page for the more
common ones available:

   http://www.mensjewelryformen.com/gemstonesGreen.html

  Of course, there is emerald too, but they can be *really* expensive.

> PS. Interesting comment re the setting... the reason the image lacks
it is
> (of course!) that I didn't know how to model it :-/

 Try sPatch, that's how I made my setting, but if you do, be careful
with scaling down too far - things seem to disappear!   :oO

  ~Steve~