POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 23 Apr 2003 13:48:20
Message: <3ea6d1e3@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> I'm not too sure of the usefulness though. I mean, memory is really
> cheap,

Well...
Ever tried to render a several-million-triangle mesh with POVRay?
If you want to trace topography data you run out of memory much faster
than you think.

Staying at that example, a 1-million-triangle topography of a planet looks
not very well unless you add some "artificial" complexity like
subdivision surfaces. Or, maybe, something these people described
"addition of large amounts of geometric complexity into models".

Wolfgang