POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Steam : Re: Old Technology...Steam Server Time
14 Jun 2024 11:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Steam
From: gonzo
Date: 22 Apr 2003 23:46:20
Message: <3ea60c8c@news.povray.org>
> "Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message
>
>This stark, monochromatic image makes a strong impact. The steam engine,
>nose down at the end of the line, shows an abandoned technology left to
>rust, yet the rear wheels are still precariously balanced in the air.
>Excellent composition.
>
>The setting is great, particularly the small birds, the curved rails, and
>the tall grass. Very natural.
>
>The train itself is simple, probably on purpose, but it does seem to be a
>collection of parts that don't quite come together, possibly to illustrate
>the fact that it is, indeed, falling apart. I could suggest more variation
>in the textures, but I don't think that was the artist's intent. The ground
>where the rail curves down could use a little depression/mound to show how
>the rail has been buried.

This was another one that I thought would have finished higher.  The
starkness is dramatic, the engine's nose in the sand leaves a sense of
abandonment and obsolescence that I thought really nailed the theme. The
little details, particularly the birds and weeds, all reinforce the idea of
expired technology being reclaimed by nature, a subject that I always find
fascinating. (I know a few shipwrecks that I dive annually just to see how
much the ocean has claimed since last year!)

Really liked this one.

RG