POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Non-metal : RE: Non-metal Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  RE: Non-metal
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 22 Apr 2003 22:12:21
Message: <3ea5f685$1@news.povray.org>

3ea584f1@news.povray.org...
> Try as I might, I *cannot* get this to look metallic... *sighs* Tried
> playing with lighting, tried playing with different backgrounds, but I
can't
> make it look shiny, and I can't make it look reflective!
>
> Any suggestions? (I'm looking for a very highly-polished, very brilliant
> look.)

I once tried a trick that was as it follows.
You have to create a box that contains the object
(double the size of the model is OK).
Give it a pigment in black and white (use bozo or
agate).
Make it hollow and set it to no_image and no_shadow.
Scale the pigment to obtain the kind of reflection you want in your
object.
The problem with reflections in POVRay is that you need
"something" to be reflected.
HDRI is other good option (much better than mine).
Hope this helps.
Bye

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com