POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : UV texture (4 images 22.5k) : RE: UV texture (4 images 22.5k) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  RE: UV texture (4 images 22.5k)
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 22 Apr 2003 21:42:55
Message: <3ea5ef9f@news.povray.org>

3ea5dca6@news.povray.org...
> Also right now I am interested in the idea of painting fine detail onto a
> model.  With comercial 3d applications the technique is called displacment
> mapping, and it actualy changes the geometery of the model, but in Povray
> the best I could do was create a normal map.

Well, you can use displacement mapping with Poseray.
As it seems you are using Wings3D, you can export your model to .obj
and open it in Poseray. I haven't try UV mapping with Wings3D, but I suppose
it exports UV coordinates and also suppose you have a bitmap for them.
You only need to use that bitmap with the bumps where you want the
displacement and Poseray does the job. Later you can export your modified
model to UDO/inc/obj. In this last case (.obj) you can import once again
your
model into Wings3D.
If you cannot get the bitmap for the UV coordinates, you can use UVMapper
to create it.
Links:
Poseray (freeware)
http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/index.htm
UVMapper Classic (this is freeware, the other one is shareware)
http://www.uvmapper.com/
Hope this helps.

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com