POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Still Life (2 images, 88k total) : Re: WIP - Still Life (2 images, 88k total) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Still Life (2 images, 88k total)
From: Bill Hails
Date: 22 Apr 2003 19:12:40
Message: <3ea5cc68@news.povray.org>
Rick [Kitty5] wrote:

> Filter looks to light - otherwise excellent!

I'm not happy with it, hence the 2 images.
I've sorted out the chunk of ash, it looks better after
adding a surface texture and playing more with isosurfaces.

The smoke is still poor, I am using a julia_fractal atm.

Any suggestions for a better cigarette smoke anyone?

The main issue is that the smoke is not a simple column.

From observation the smoke particles flow mainly from
just behind the burning paper edge and are drawn forwards
and upwards by the heat from the burning tobacco, like
a sheet but with the edges folded in a spiral. At some
point they hit a cooler layer of air and some disperse
sideways, and accumulate, then that iterates (am I
sounding obsessive? :-).

FYI

Yes I smoke, Yes I'd like to give up, No I don't want
lots of self-help suggestions :-). I thought this might
help me give up, but I smoked soooo many cigarettes
trying to get this right...

I think I'm addicted to pov too

--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!