POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:35:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 22 Apr 2003 05:19:48
Message: <3ea50934@news.povray.org>

3ea47d3c@news.povray.org...
> at the title.  I'll never forget the sight of the two of them bending
> over the museum tag, next to this piece of steel, and the guard reading
> in a dispirited voice, "steel plate".

Hey, when this exhibition came to France some years ago I took a picture of
an elderly woman bent over the same steel plates, with her head framed by
the legs of the felt trousers hanging on the wall behind her :)
Actually I like Beuys. There's a large part of showmanship/histrionics at
work there too, including the (bogus?) story about him being saved by Tatars

please...), but there's some genuine emotion in some of his work. A piece
like "Plight" for instance (a walk-in installation with rolls of felt, see
http://perso.ensad.fr/~longa/cours/B4.html) is a very comforting, relaxing
place to be and one I regularly go to (and again it looks silly on the web).
The 30-year old butter stuff is yucky though so here's my advice to artists:
don't play with perishable, organic food. The steel plates, of course, are
quite the opposite, with a weighty, mineral, crude, everlasting presence.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com