POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC participation shrinking? : Re: IRTC participation shrinking? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC participation shrinking?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 21 Apr 2003 14:19:48
Message: <3ea43644@news.povray.org>

3ea36e13$1@news.povray.org...
> I really need to get out more.  In fact, I'm hoping to do just that.
> Suddenly, I'm realizing how art-deficient I am.  Even so, I've been
viewing
> more and more things via the Web.  I realize that it's not the same as
> actually viewing a painting or other work of art first hand (perhaps
digital
> art excepted), but until I can afford to travel around, it gets me by.

Well, it surely helps to live at 30mn from several major art museums :) I
have a year pass at Pompidou, so sometimes I just "drop by". Of course, the
web is better than nothing, but if there's a big difference between
traditional and digital art media it is certainly that the digital
experience of non-digital art is often a letdown, while digital looks good
on the web. This perhaps even more the case for non-digital contemporary
art, and stuff that look just dumb where you read about it or see it printed
somewhere can be really great in real life.

> Unfortunately, much of my French was learned via Asterix comics.  :-/
Certainly a pleasant way to learn French!

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com