POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : The New Exponentiation : Re: The New Exponentiation Server Time
3 May 2024 03:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The New Exponentiation
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Apr 2003 10:01:16
Message: <3ea0052c@news.povray.org>
In article <3E9### [at] ihugcomau> , bob douglas <rod### [at] ihugcomau>
wrote:

> I am no longer able to reproduce one of my scenes due to the change in
> exponentiation in 3.5, now in the form of pow(a,b) - formerly a^b.

POV-Ray never supported the "^" in any final version, just a few beta
versions of POV-Ray 3.5 had support for that operator.  So this is in
absolutely no way a removed feature.

> Is there some way of emulating the old a^b in order to render my scene?

Yes, you just apply yourself the operations the old unofficial isosurface
function implementation of "^" did implicitly.

> and why was it altered?

Because it did not conform to the general rules of mathematics.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde